Optimizing Energy Consumption of Large Public Facilities in Italy
ENGIE deployed C3 AI Energy Management™ in Italy to enable large municipal and commercial customers to analyze energy consumption and reduce energy expenditure. ENGIE configured C3 AI Energy Management with custom analytics, data integrations, and complex asset hierarchies for their customers using the development tools on the C3 AI Suite.
C3.ai and ENGIE partnered over the course of 16 weeks to implement C3 AI Energy Management as the “Clara Domus” solution for more than 600 public facilities in Northern Italy, in response to a business need identified by the Italian Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF). In the next phase, ENGIE Italy is expanding Clara Domus to thousands of facilities to benefit cities and other public customers.
“ENGIE is looking to provide a zero-carbon future. The C3 AI Suite is important because it helps us build applications faster.”
A Global Energy and Sustainability Management Solution
C3 AI Energy Management enables ENGIE energy managers and their customers’ facility operators to use AI to analyze energy data, identify cost savings and performance improvement opportunities, manage contractual obligations such as comfort, and proactively take action to implement measures and verify benefits.
- Differentiated service offering with a configurable and feature-rich technology solution
- Rapid deployment to meet customer deadlines
- Scalable energy management platform to expand business to new customers in Italy and to other business units across ENGIE
- Additional revenue from new products and services
- Increased customer retention
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Reduced cost of energy efficiency obligation
Project Highlights and Results
- Deployed the solution to 600+ facilities in 16 weeks, on time and to specification
- 600+ public facilities in Northern Italy
- Achieved 50% additional savings (compared to alternative solutions)
- Identified up to 10x energy reductions for worst-performing facilities
- Modeled and analyzed a multi-layered hierarchy ranging from city aggregation down to individual building asset sensors
- Delivered a strong strategic advantage as evidenced by the City of Venice’s recognition
- Configured data integrations on the C3 AI Suite, including custom temperature and billing feeds built by ENGIE and connections to BMS systems providing measurements such as fan coil speed and HVAC status every 15 minutes
- Configured 140 analytics for energy data such as thermal heating consumption and energy efficiency KPIs
- Provided a scalable and differentiating platform that is being expanded to new customers
Across All Lines of Business, ENGIE Can Achieve €1.5 Billion per Year in Economic Benefit from C3 AI Applications and the C3 AI Suite
ENGIE is the #1 independent electricity provider in the world, #1 energy efficiency services provider in the world, #1 distribution network in Europe, and #1 green electricity supplier in France. ENGIE’s revenue in 2018 was €61 billion, and it has 150,000+ employees in 70 countries.
In 2016, ENGIE selected C3.ai as the AI platform to enable its three-year digital transformation strategy. ENGIE uses the C3 AI Suite to integrate data, develop, deploy, and manage applications (including C3 AI Energy Management) across ENGIE’s 24 business units to solve critical use cases.