Optimizing Semiconductor Manufacturing Yield
A large manufacturer of high-performance semiconductors implemented C3 AI Yield Optimization to optimize the manufacturing process of its wireless products, demonstrating the ability to predict low-yield wafers early in the process and identify process improvements to increase overall yield.
The U.S.-based manufacturer designs and delivers a broad set of cutting-edge products, including radio frequency filters, amplifiers, modulators, attenuators, and more. However, the manufacturer had been experiencing lower than expected overall yield in some of its most complex products.
By implementing C3 AI Yield Optimization, the manufacturer can now identify bad wafers, quantify time and costs saved, and tune design and manufacturing processes to optimize yields. The total estimated economic impact is greater than $30 million per year from both manufacturing optimization and design.
About the Manufacturer
- $3.6 billion in revenue
- 35 global facilities
- 6,000 employees
- Products are widely adopted in leading mobile devices and IoT ecosystems
- Implemented project in 10 weeks from kickoff to pre-production application
- Created 3 terabyte unified data image of 830,000 files
- Created more than 1,500 relevant features
- Built 20 machine learning algorithms to predict die quality
- Built 12 machine learning algorithms to predict bottom 10% and 20% of low-yield wafers
- Delivered insights on manufacturing optimization based on analysis
- Configured the C3 AI Yield Optimization user interface
Enterprise AI for Manufacturing
The C3 AI Suite provides the necessary comprehensive capabilities to build enterprise-scale AI applications 25x faster than alternative approaches. The C3 AI Suite enables manufacturers to rapidly integrate petabyte-scale data from any/all enterprise systems, operational sources, sensor networks, and external providers to power machine learning models that generate predictive insights to solve previously unsolvable problems.
Many global manufacturers are already using the C3 AI Suite to drive digital transformation efforts, generating results such as: reducing inventory by as much as 35%, lowering waste due to quality defects by over 20%, and generating hundreds of millions of dollars in economic value annually.